"Maybe Lord, I can show someone else, what I've learned myself, on my way back to you." -Kris Kristofferson

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Pity party, table for one/ He is jealous for me

I had one major pity party for myself tonight. I woke up this morning like I normally would, had my devotion while Luke napped, and I went on with my day. However as the day progressed I found myself more and more annoyed with everything. I went to a department store and tried on some clothes for an event I wanted to attend this weekend. It was supposed to be a night out with my husband and friends and I wanted to look nice. I was going to be around a lot of pretty, young people and I wanted to look my best. (you know, something other than Michael's tee shirts and spit up) As I tried on more and more things, the more my excitement dwindled. I looked terrible. Nothing fit right, and I was very unhappy with the person staring back at me in the mirror. A small voice inside of me was getting louder and louder. It was saying "You're disgusting, fat, and worthless. You'll never be good enough, why try?" By the time 7pm hit, I was under the sheets bawling my eyes out. The voice was booming over me as if someone was holding a loud speaker next to me. What started out as a desire for a night out had turning into a full-blown battle within my soul. What was I to do? I prayed. I asked God to bind these lies and the one who tells them. I praised Him for who he is and what He has done for me. I would like to say that I magically felt better and I am now sitting here happy and confident as I get ready for bed. Well, I can't say that. I'm not there yet, but I have hope that I will be able to stamp this lie out once and for all. As long as I cling to the simple truth: He is jealous for me. He loves me, He wants me, He thinks I'm enough, and He suffered and died for me. My worth is not determined by the way I look in a pair of jeans, it's determined by who resides within my heart. 1 Samuel 16:7b "The Lord does not see things the way you see them. People judge by outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart."

No comments:

Post a Comment