"Maybe Lord, I can show someone else, what I've learned myself, on my way back to you." -Kris Kristofferson

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Just A Glimpse

I think that the love of God is both something unfathomable and under-appreciated by humanity. It's under-appreciated because it is so difficult to grasp the concept of pure, perfect love. I am on a quest to love like Jesus, and I can tell you, the more and more I study how He loved, the harder it sounds and the harder it is to do so. The word love is thrown around so much these days, that it seems to have lost a great deal of its weight. True love is not easy.It is not a fleeting feeling, but a conscious, sacrificial act that is ongoing and willfully done. It's denying your own needs and putting someone else before you. It's a joyful giving of one's self. And it can be very hard to love someone who hurts you, crosses you, ignores you, or even hates you. There are so many people in my life who are showing me how to love like Jesus, and I am so thankful for them. However, there is one particular person in my life right now that is teaching me what the love of God looks like from a perspective I've never had before- my son. I became a mom in March and it has been the most wonderful, frustrating, humbling, exhausting, and beautiful experience of my life. Michael and I really didn't know what to expect as first time parents (I don't really think anyone does, even if you did read all the books). Luke has already taught us so many things, like patience, perseverance, and how to clean the house in 20 minutes flat. But most of all, this child is teaching me how to love like Jesus. As I held him in my arms tonight, I began to think about how much I loved this little boy. When his chubby little fingers close around mine, when he stares at me with those big blue eyes, and when he smiles and squeals in delight, I get a glimpse. Just a tiny glimpse of how much God really loves us. My heart overflows with love for my son. I don't think anything he could ever do would change that. He is beautiful and precious to me. I want only the best for him, and I want him to learn all he can, so that he may grow up and be a strong and wise man of God. And when I think about all the things I love and want for my son, I realize God wants the same things for His children. He knows what it's like to be a parent. We are beautiful and precious to him. He wants the best for us. There is nothing we can do that will ever separate us from his love. His heart overflows with love for us, so much that he died for us. If anyone knows about sacrificial love, its Him. He is intrinsically love. It's funny to think that the most powerful love I feel for my son, is only a small glimpse, a poor reflection, of God's love. And yet, I go against him all the time. I put myself first, and him last. He knows all of my dark secrets and still loves me with that unfailing love. wow. I am simply overwhelmed at his beauty.

C.S. Lewis said, "Christ didn't die for us because we're worth dying for, but because He is intrinsically love, and loves infinitely."

Well said, Sir, well said.

1 comment:

  1. You are right, Holly, The love we have for our children is but a glimpse into the love God has for His children. It's unconditional love, pure and simple. I remember the first time I ever heard Matthew's heart beat, and later Josh's. I had tears in my eyes as I thought about how much i already loved him and he was barely in my womb. God supplies us with enough love to go around for all our children, just as He has enough love to go around for all of His children.
    You are doing the best thing you could ever do for Luke. You are teaching Him the love of Christ. He is so very blessed to have you as him mom.
    I love you.

    ReplyDelete